The Careers Service is continuing to provide a full range of services during semester two, however it is anticipated that all of these will be offered remotely.
We will be delivering a full calendar of virtual events from careers fairs, to employer presentations and briefing sessions. Visit our events calendar regularly, or check out our events on the university app.
- We will be offering our CV/application checking service as a virtual service over zoom. Bookings are online through MyCareer as normal and slots can be booked from 8am, 2 days in advance of each session.
- We will be offering Quick Query appointments with the duty Careers Consultant. Bookings are online through MyCareer as normal and slots can be booked from 8am, 2 days in advance of each session.
- Our Careers Consultants are also available for careers guidance appointments. Please contact our reception team by email at email@example.com to arrange this.
Alternatively you can now use our live chat facility
We are continuing to advertise work experience, voluntary and graduate opportunities on MyCareerHub. Many employers are continuing to recruit, although recruitment processes may look very different to normal.
- Online Careers Toolkit including career assessment tools, online psychometric tests, careers e-learning hub and online practice interview simulator
- Careers Service website resources
General careers enquiries
Part-time work and other work experience
Many students would be looking for part-time work as they come back to university this autumn. Some of the more traditional sectors for part-time jobs, such as hospitality may not be hiring at this time, however there may be opportunities in other areas. We will be offering briefing sessions on finding work experience regularly.
The Careers Service is aware that this is a worrying time for those of you who are applying for summer internships and graduate jobs in the UK and Internationally. The situation is changing rapidly at the moment but we will keep you updated on developments via our website and social media channels. Our advice is to keep applying but check the latest updates from employers via their social media channels to find out if the vacancy that you are interested in is still live. If in doubt get in touch with the employer to ask.
Please note Any advice provided by the Careers Service website regarding applying for jobs, recruitment and the labour market etc. will be affected by the COVID-19 crisis
University advice: Student information & FAQs
Labour Market Updates
- Regular expert updates on the graduate labour market are available via Prospects Luminate
- Monthly Scottish COVID-19 Labour Market Insights includes spotlights on specific sectors and regions
- For help and information about the labour market outside the UK GoinGlobal carries COVID-19 global employment briefings and job search advice
Resources for Job Search and Work Experience during Covid
- Next Step Support provides additional support to students regarding employment in light of COVID-19. It offers content and tools from various trusted sources including hiring updates, webinars and virtual events from employers. You can register for alerts and ask to be connected back to your Careers service, where appropriate.
- Prospects: Your career and COVID-19 page provides advice for students preparing for and applying for jobs during the pandemic. It includes tips on increasing your online presence and preparing for phone interviews
- Internship Experience UK Organised by Bright Network, this is a programme of virtual internships for students and graduates, across a range of careers.
- TARGETjobs has prepared a Student's guide to virtual internships
- TARGETjobs has just published an article on Job-hunting during the pandemic
- TARGETjobs has prepared advice on work experience options
- Forage virtual work experience programmes (formerly Inside Sherpa)
- Goinglobal now features a Remote Jobs filter on the Job and Internship search pages; all country guides include a Covid-19 section under Finding a Job / Job Search Overview
- Chambers Student is collating opportunities for virtual legal work experience at the bar
- TARGETjobs has published an article on Job-hunting in 2021
- Ratemyplacement has produced a guide on virtual internships
Interviews during Covid
- "What did you do in lockdown?" - TARGETjobs advice on how to handle this question at interview
- Five top tips for virtual interviews and assessment centres from LawCareer.net bug relevant to all.
- FAQs for International students during COVID